What to visit in Essaouira?
The city of Essaouira is one of the main protagonists of the Moroccan coast. This small town of about 70,000 inhabitants mostly dedicates its economic activity to fishing. However, crafts, textiles and marquetry also occupy an important place in the economy of Essaouira. In this post you will get to know what to visit in Essaouira.
This port city is famous for a music festival that is held every year, the Gnaoua World Music Festival, which attracts thousands of visitors in each edition. But not only for this festival is Essaouira known all over the world. Also its historic center and medina were listed as historical heritage by Unesco in 2001.
Another interesting fact: fans of “Game of Thrones” will probably recognize its medina as in 2012 it served as the setting for television series, also it appeared in several films and served as the backdrop for countless other photo shoots.
This city collects the essence of Moroccan life with its craft markets, the colorful textile shops and the marquetry works. Everything that you can think of when imagining Marocco!
What to see in Essaouira:
- The Skala fortress where the best-known wooden craftsmen of the country are located.
- The port, where you can see the live purchase of the loads brought by the boats while enjoying the fresh fish in a local restaurant.
- Plaza del Mulay el Hassan, surrounded by cafes and terraces that will make you enjoy a quiet afternoon surrounded by the smell of wood.
- The Great Mosque where the most prestigious silversmiths work.
- Its beaches! The charm of Essaouira can be found both in its inside and outside. The fine sand of its wide beaches is of high tourist interest for visitors and divers or people practicing water sports. The giant dunes where you can see dromedaries walk is something very usual.
The best option to enjoy this city is to complement your trip by visitng Marrakech. Enjoy a few days of vacation in the city most visited by tourists with a trip to Essaouira with this special offer. Book your excursion to Essaouira with Argania Travel.