Titan Desert race returns in may
For desert and thrill-seekers, we have good news for you: the Titan Desert is going back “to the origins” in 2021. This famous race for cycling enthusiasts consists of a mountain bike ride using all your orientation and endurance to reach the finish.
What does it consist of?
The Titan Desert is not just any race. This route through the Moroccan desert stands out for the possibility of enjoying a mountain bike adventure crossing the most incredible landscapes of Morocco between desert plains, dunes and mountains: all in one.
But the experience continues when you get off the bike. Five days of effort and overcoming and five nights of “Titan Spirit” that remains present throughout the race. This is what makes the Titan Desert a “total” adventure. On arrival at the bivouac, the participants live like nomads in the desert.
The cyclists live together in the tents at the end of each stage and at the start of the next, which creates an atmosphere of companionship that is the true value of the Titan Desert Morocco.
When and how
Just a week ago, the President and ideologist of the Titan Desert, Juan Porcar, confirmed the celebration of this intrepid event and indicated the next date and the specifics of this year’s event. From the 23rd to the 28th of May, the participants will have the opportunity to cover 639 km during 6 stages starting in Boumalne Dades and finishing in Maadid.
6 unforgettable days to cross the southern desert of Morocco with stages of approximately 110 km each. These are the stages finalised by the organisation of the Titan Desert for this year.
- Sunday, 23 May: 102 km. A mountain stage with rivers and steep ascents and descents starting and finishing in Boumalne Dades.
- Monday, 24th May: 127 km. This is the most difficult stage. It is known as the big mountain stage with big climbs and descents whose lunar landscapes of tracks with steep cliffs but it is also the most spectacular.
- Tuesday, 25th May: 99 km. This stage takes us into the desert. It starts in Ait Yahya and ends at the Algerian border at Tafraoute.
- Wednesday, 26th May: 130 km. It is characterised by crossing canyons and areas of sand, stones and camels until we get close to the dunes. It starts in Tafraoute and ends in Erg Chebbi.
- Thursday, 27th May: 107 km. This is the classic stage of the Titan Desert. A route around the dunes of Erg Chebbi.
- Friday, 28th May: 74 km. The shortest route and also the most eagerly awaited. It is different from previous years because after passing through a mountainous area and stony plains with steep, sandy descents, we will cross a fast-flowing river, which will be the last challenge before reaching the finish line.
How does the pandemic affect the Titan Desert 2021?
With less than two months to go until the Titan Desert 2021, it is already safe to say that the race will be launched. The organisers of the route already have all the necessary guarantees and permits from the Moroccan Ministry of Tourism, the National Tourism Promotion Office and the Spanish Embassy in the country.
Porcar affirms that the celebration of the race will have all the controls to make it a safe experience. The organisers have made it compulsory to have a negative PCR for both the outward and return journey to the country of origin in order to enjoy an “airtight bubble” of security in the desert and to carry out the stages as normally as possible.